The American Legation Building in Tangier, Morocco is an important piece of history for the United States of America. In 1821 Sultan Moulay Suliman presented the building to the United States and became the first acquired property abroad by the United States. This Moorish designed structure is made up of many buildings and additions throughout its existence and stands out as a prized building in the old Medina of Tangier. Now named The Tangier American Legation Institute for Moroccan Studies, it is used for many things.
Over time the building had many different uses, ranging from The American Legation, WW2 army base, and now a museum and educational building for the women of Tangier, Morocco. Today the building is used as a museum, cultural center, research library, and an educational place for women of the Medina concentrating of Arabic language studies. In 1981, the building was listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places and remains to be the only property in a foreign country to be on the list, making it a National Historic Landmark.